dijous, 21 d’octubre de 2010

Projecte Berlín 2011: Volkspark Schönholzer Heide

Memorial Soviètic al Volkspark Schönholzer Heide

Atès que ja conec el Sowjetisches Ehrenmal in der Treptower Park i el Sowjetisches Ehrenmal in der Tiergarten, em falta visitar el Memorial en el Volkspark Schönholzer Heide.

Amb la lletra 'A', situació del Memorial al Volkspark Schönholzer Heide. A la part inferior de la imatge (on diu Berlin) es pot veure una part del Mitte

 Imatge ampliada de la zona, molt a prop del barri de la Nomenklatura del SED en temps de la RDA. Es pot llegir perfectament el nom 'Schloss Schönhausen', lloc oficial de residència dels mandataris estrangers que anaren a Berlín durant aquell període (visitat al 2005)





The Soviet War Memorial in Schönholzer Heide (Sowjetisches Ehrenmal in der Schönholzer Heide) in Pankow, Berlin was erected in the period between May 1947 and November 1949 and covers an area of 30 000 m².

Schönholzer Heide was in the 19th century a popular recreation area. During the Second World War the place was turned into a work camp. After the war the north-western part of the area was used to build the third large Soviet war memorial in Berlin, together with the memorials in Treptower Park and Tiergarten.

A Soviet group of architects consisting of A. Solowjew, M. Belarnzew, W. D. Koroljew and the sculptor Iwan G. Perschudtschew made the sketch for the cemetery, where 13 200 of the 80 000 Soviet soldiers that had fallen during the battle of Berlin, should be buried. On a wall around the memorial there are 100 bronze tablets where the names, ranks and birth dates of the soldiers it was possible to identify, are written. This group constitutes about one fifth of the fallen soldiers.

On both side of the main axis, which at its end one finds a 33,5 meter tall obelisk made of syenite, there are placed 8 burial chambers where 1182 soldiers are buried. Under the Honor Hall inside the obelisk there are buried two Soviet colonels.

A statue of the Russian Mother Earth is situated in front of the obelisk and constitutes the main point of the memorial. On the statue's base, which is made out of black porphyry, one finds 42 bronze tablets on which the names of fallen officers are inscribed.

(Font: Wikipedia)